The Board recognizes that the success of the school program depends, in part, on support by the larger community. The Board wishes to foster a positive climate where members of the community have the opportunity to observe the hard work and accomplishments of the student, teachers and other staff. Since schools are a place of work and learning, however, certain limits must be set for such visits. The Principal or his or her designee is responsible for all persons in the building and on the grounds. For these reasons, the following rules apply to visitors to the schools:
- Anyone who is not a regular staff member or student of the school will be considered a visitor.
- The Florida Union Free School District utilizes an electronic visitor management system (EVMS ) in order to ensure the safety and welfare of its students, staff and guests.
- When any visitor, including parents and volunteers, wishes to enter any school building during school hours, he or she must present a valid state or government issued photo ID, such as a valid driver’s license. Prior to entry being permitted, the EVMS will check visitors against known sexual offender databases. Once the visitor’s ID is scanned, the EVMS will print a visitor’s badge which must be worn throughout the duration of the visit. Visitors should return this badge at the end of their visit so that they may be checked out of the building in a timely fashion. Visitors who refuse to produce IDs or fail the check of sexual offender databases may be asked to either wait in the school building lobby or to leave school premises.
- Visitors attending school functions that are open to the public after regular school hours, such as parent-teacher organization meetings or public gatherings, are not required to register.
- Any unauthorized person on school property will be reported to the Principal or his or her designee. Unauthorized persons will be asked to leave. The police may be called if the situation warrants.
- All visitors are expected to abide by the rules for public conduct on school property contained in this code of conduct.