Florida Union Free School District believes that participation in sports provides a wealth of opportunities and experiences that benefit students in the classroom and in life. The district offers students opportunities to participate in a wide-range of various sports across three seasons. Florida UFSD is a member of the New York State Public High School Athletic Association, competing as a member of Section IX and the Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (OCIAA).
The mission of New York State interscholastic athletic programs is to foster the quest for excellence by creating an educational and competitive experience within an atmosphere of sportsmanship. Successful programs develop individual and team potential by promoting high standards of competence, character, civility and citizenship.
Parent information and alerts for sporting events
Did you know?
- You can access OCIAA schedules by following this link: http://roia.ouboces.org
- Click on school schedules, select your school-specific schedule page and go!
- You can subscribe to game change notifications for your child’s teams:
- Go to your school’s schedule page and click the link to subscribe;
- Receive text or email of notifications of dates, times, site changes and cancellations.
- You can follow OCIAA and Section IX athletics on Twitter:
- @Secti onlXSports
SPARTAN ATHLETIC NEWS
Upcoming Events: Important Spring Sports dates and Senior Nights
- Tuesday, Feb. 11 — ImPACT testing for Spring Sports
- Tuesday, Feb. 18 — Senior Night for boys’ basketball & cheer
- Wednesday, Feb. 19 — Senior Night for girls basketball
- Friday, Feb. 28 – Saturday, March 7 —
- Winter sports sectionals for basketball, cheerleading and boys swimming/diving.
- Monday, March 9 — Spring Varsity Sports start
- Monday, March 16 — Spring Modified Spring Sports starts
- Monday, March 30 — Winter Sports Recognition Night, 7 p.m. at Seward
January Student-Athletes of the Month
Shawn Behrent, a senior, is a two-time varsity basketball player. This year he secured a starting role and is the number one, 3-point shooting threat. He brings a lot to the game with his versatility.
Shannon Sgombick, a freshman, is a two-year starting point-guard on the varsity basketball team. Her skills and awareness on the court are a major asset to the team’s success.
December Student-Athletes of the Month
Josely Medina, a junior, has played and started on the girls’ varsity basketball team since she was a freshman. She brings versatility to the program with her ball handling and shooting ability. Josely’s dedication to athletics and academics alike clearly shows with a team record of 8-1 and a GPA of 97.
Gavin Acuna, a sophomore, is getting his first varsity experience. He worked hard in the off-season to win the starting PG position. His team spirit and court awareness as a player impresses coaches around the league. Gavin’s current GPA is 87.
Spartan soccer athletes make local All-State selection
Congratulations to Seward’s soccer athletes Alexa Roach, a senior, and Shannon Sgombick, a freshman, on making the local All-State, Class C, fourth-team selection—and their outstanding contributions to the Spartan girls soccer team this season!
Seward’s boys cross country team captures Class D title, advances to state’s
Seward’s boys cross country team captured the Section 9 Class D title after defeating Eldred on Nov. 6. Jared Verblaauw was the highest finisher for the Spartans crossing the finish line in 19:27. Now they’re off to the state competitions.
Seward’s girls soccer team wrapped season with section title
Seward’s girls soccer team captured the Section 9 Class C title with a 4-3 penalty-kick win over Millbrook on Oct. 30. The Spartans finished the season 14-1-3 as a regional finalist.