Purchasing breakfast and lunch in Florida’s schools

Children need healthy meals to learn. The Florida Union Free School District offers healthy meals every school day.
Breakfast is $2.15 for Golden Hill and Seward; lunch is $3.35 for Golden Hill and $3.55 for Seward.

Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals.  Students in New York State that are approved for reduced price meals will receive breakfast and lunch meals and snacks at no charge.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions about free and reduced meals:

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced-Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Florida UFSD Food Services, P.O. Drawer 757, Florida, NY 10921; (845) 651-3095, ext. 20036.

Who can get free meals?

  • All children in households receiving benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), are eligible for free meals. Categorical eligibility for free meal benefits is extended to all children in a household when the application lists an Assistance Program’s case number for any household member.
  • Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
  • Children participating in their school’s Head Start Program are eligible for free meals.
  • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals. Households with children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway or migrant should contact the SFA for assistance in receiving benefits.
  • Children may receive free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free or reduced price limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines. Students in New York State that are approved for reduced price meals will receive breakfast and lunch meals and snacks served through the Afterschool Snack Program at no charge.

Your children may qualify for free or reduced price meals if your household income falls at or below the limits listed below by family size and income:

Total family size: annual; monthly; twice per moth; every two weeks; weekly

  • 1: $26,973; $2,248; $1,124; $1,038; $519
  • 2: $36,482; $3,041; $1,521; $1,404; $702
  • 3: $45,991; $3,833; $1,917; $1,769; $885
  • 4: $55,500; $4,625; $2,313; $2,135 ; $1,068
  • 5: $65,009; $5,418; $2,709; $2,501; $1,251
  • 6: $74,518; $6,210; $3,105; $2,867; $1,434
  • 7: $84,027; $7,003; $3,502; $3,232; $1,616
  • 8: $93,536; $7,795; $3,898; $3,598; $1,799
  • Each additional person add: $9,509; $793; $397; $366; $ 183

Can foster children get free meals?

Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals.  Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals?

Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals.  If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or email Jeanne-Marie Pavlik at (845) 651-3095 or jpavlik@floridaufsd.org to see if they qualify.

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals?

Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions.  Call the school at 845-651-3095, ext. 20036 if you have questions.

My child’s application was approved last year.  Do I need to fill out another one?

Yes.  Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 days of this school year.  You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

I get WIC (Women, Infants and Children) benefits. Can my children get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals.  Please fill out a Free and Reduced-Price school meals/milk application.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Superintendent of Schools, P.O. Drawer 757, Florida, NY 10921; or 845-651-3095.

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

Who should I include as members of my household?

You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you.  If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income?

If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-342-3009.

How to Apply

To get free or reduced price meals for your children, carefully complete one Application for Free and Reduced Price School Meals/Milk, (links  at right) following the instructions on the form, for your household and return it to the designated office listed on the application. All household members and children should be listed on one application.

  • If you receive SNAP or TANF benefits or participate in the FDPIR, the application must include the children’s names, the household SNAP, TANF or FDPIR case number and the signature of an adult household member.
    • Contact your local Department of Social Services for your SNAP or TANF case number, if necessary.
    • No application is necessary if the household was notified by the School Food Authority that their children have been directly certified based on Assistance Program participation. If the household is not sure if their children have been directly certified, the household should contact the school.
  • If you do not list a SNAP, TANF or FDPIR case number for any household member, the application must include the names of everyone in the household, the amount of income for each household member, how often it is received and where it comes from.  It must include the signature of an adult household member and the last four digits of that adult’s social security number or check the box if the adult does not have a social security number.
    An application for free and reduced price benefits cannot be approved unless complete eligibility information is submitted, as indicated on the application and in the instructions. We will let you know when your application is approved or denied.

Reporting Changes:  The benefits that you are approved for at the time of application are effective for the entire school year and up to 30 operating days into the new school year (or until a new eligibility determination is made, whichever comes first). You no longer need to report changes for an increase in income or decrease in household size, or if you no longer receive SNAP.

Meal Service to Children with Disabilities:  Federal regulations require schools and institutions to serve meals at no extra charge to children with a disability which may restrict their diet.  A student with a disability is defined in 7CFR Part 15b.3 of Federal regulations, as one who has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities of such individual, a record of such an impairment or being regarded as having such an impairment. Major life activities include but are not limited to: functions such as caring for one’s self, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working. You must request meal modifications from the school and provide the school with medical statement from a State licensed healthcare professional.  If you believe your child needs substitutions because of a disability, please get in touch with us for further information, as there is specific information that the medical statement must contain.

Confidentiality: The United States Department of Agriculture has approved the release of students names and eligibility status, without parent/guardian consent, to persons directly connected with the administration or enforcement of federal education programs such as Title I and the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), which are United States Department of Education programs used to determine areas such as the allocation of funds to schools, to evaluate socioeconomic status of  the school’s attendance area, and to assess educational progress.  Information may also be released to State health or State education programs administered by the State agency or local education agency, provided the State or local education agency administers the program, and federal State or local nutrition programs similar to the National School Lunch Program.  Additionally, all information contained in the free and reduced price application may be released to persons directly connected with the administration or enforcement of programs authorized under the National School Lunch Act (NSLA) or Child Nutrition Act (CNA); including the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs, the Special Milk Program, the Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women Infants and Children (WIC);  the Comptroller  General of the United States for audit purposes, and federal, State or local law enforcement officials investigating alleged violation of the programs under the NSLA or CNA. The disclosure of eligibility information not specifically authorized by the NSLA requires a written consent statement from the parent/guardian.  

In the operation of child feeding programs, no child will be discriminated against because of race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability or limited English proficiency.

If you have other questions or need help, call the Food Service Department at (845) 651-3095, Ext. 20036.

Nondiscrimination Statement: This explains what to do if you believe you have been treated unfairly.

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/ad-3027.pdf from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or by fax:  (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or by Email:  program.intake@usda.gov

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.