In accordance with the Interim Guidance for In-person Instruction at Pre-k to Grade 12 Schools During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency issued by the NYSDOH on April 9, the following adjustments to the Florida Union Free School District Reopening Plan are proposed.
Exposed Individuals: The District will follow the NYS guidance regarding quarantine protocols for individuals who have been exposed to the COVID-19 virus. Asymptomatic individuals who have been fully vaccinated and those with prior COVID-19 infection during the previous 3 months do not need to quarantine if exposed to COVID-19.
Physical Distancing: The New York State Department of Health allows physical distancing requirements to be reduced to a minimum of 3 feet between students in classroom settings, subject to adherence to certain mitigation measures. The District will follow the CDC recommendations for physical distancing and cohorting for elementary, middle, and high schools at each level of transmission. The recommendations from the CDC are summarized below and are required to be adhered to when implementing physical distancing of less than six feet in classrooms. Please refer to Table 2 in the CDC Guidance for more detail.
- In counties with low and moderate risk of transmission, elementary, middle and
high schools can maintain physical distancing of at least three feet between
students in classrooms.
- In counties with substantial risk of transmission, elementary, middle and high
schools can maintain physical distancing of at least three feet between students in classrooms and cohorting is recommended.
- In counties with high risk of transmission, elementary schools can maintain
physical distancing of at least three feet between students in classrooms and
cohorting is recommended when possible. However, in middle and high schools three feet between students in classrooms in classrooms is recommended only when schools can use cohorting.
Although a minimum of physical distancing of three feet is required according to the guidance listed above, when possible, the Florida Union Free School District will maintain physical distancing of 6 feet.
In accordance with the guidance, the Florida Union Free School District will maintain 6 feet of physical distancing in the following situations:
- Six feet is always the required distancing between adults (teachers, staff, visitors) and between students and adults.
- Six feet of distance is required when eating meals and snacks, or drinking or
other times masks must be removed.
- Individuals participating in activities that require projecting the voice (e.g. singing) or playing a wind instrument must be six feet apart and there must be six feet of distance between the performers and the audience during the performances and concerts.
- Six feet of physical distance must be maintained in common areas and outside of the classrooms (e.g. lobbies, auditoriums, gymnasiums, cafeterias and hallways), where possible.
Mechanical ventilation: Filters have been upgraded to MERV-13 wherever possible.
Engagement with School Stakeholders: The changes to the school reopening plan have been/will be discussed at the following meetings:
- Superintendents Forum on Wednesday, April 28 at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Faculty and Staff Meeting on Monday, May 3 at 2:45 p.m.
- Board of Education Work Session on Thursday, May 6 at 7 p.m.
- Board of Education Meeting on Thursday, May 20 at 7 p.m.
- Superintendents Forum on Wednesday, May 26 at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Feedback will be gathered and the Reopening Plan will be updated. The update will be posted to the website and sent to the NYSED and the Orange County Department of Health.