The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
As a parent and/or spectator:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or other sports event.
- I (and my guest) will no engage in any kind of unsportsman-like conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the heath and well-being of the athletes.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying had, and make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I agree not to criticize, belittle, antagonize, berate or otherwise incite the opposing team, its players, coaches, cheerleaders, fans or officials/judges by word of mouth or by gesture.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field , and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the coaches of the team.
- I will park my car only in assigned parking sports and not in illegal areas such as emergency lanes or handicapped sports.
I also agree that if I fail to abide by the aforementioned riles and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but not limited to the following:
- Verbal warning by officials, head coach, and/or administration.
- Written warning by administration.
- Parental game suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file.
- Parental season suspension.