Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are very excited to welcome students back to the District for in-person instruction.
As we approach one of the most challenging situations for school districts because of the COVID-19 pandemic, let me share some updates, additional preparations made and requirements that have been implemented to reopen schools as safely as possible.
- The District will open under a hybrid model which provides parents the opportunity to select remote instruction or daily, in-person instruction for their children for a 10-week period.
- Cleaning protocols have been enhanced, new tools have been purchased and additional cleaning positions have been added.
- Additional tools to aid in the prevention of COVID-19, such as thermal scanners, extensive personal protective equipment (PPE) and daily screenings have been purchased and implemented.
- Additional filtration is being added to the ventilation systems.
- Social distancing guidelines and face coverings will be required in our schools.
- While limiting movement within S.S. Seward, a full academic program with support services, electives and college courses will be offered.
- At Golden Hill Elementary School, students will be in smaller cohorts and special area classes will be offered in the classroom.
- The breakfast and lunch program will be operating in both buildings and pick-up for students who are participating remotely will be available at S.S. Seward.
- Buses will have limited capacity and face coverings will be required. Bus routes will be sent on 9/3/2020.
This year more than ever, we encourage parents to subscribe to notifications through School Messenger and check the district website, www.FloridaUFSD.org, regularly for schedule changes and updated information. Information is also available on our free mobile app and on our Facebook page and Twitter feed. Contact the schools directly to update contact information.
The print version of the district calendar will be mailed in early September. All activities and events will be held virtually this year.
I would like to acknowledge and thank the Board of Education, the District Advisory Team/Reopening Committee, task force groups, faculty, staff, and parents who have worked cooperatively throughout the summer to develop and implement the reopening plan. While we understand the school day will look very different than it has in the past, we recognize the importance of a structured daily program and are very happy to be returning to school whether remote or in person.
Here is the opening schedule. Additional information is posted on the website.
- Sept. 3-4 – Remote period for all students
- Sept. 3 – Special education programming at BOCES begins
- Sept. 8-11 – Phase-in period for in-person instruction (50% each day) A-L Sept. 8 & 10, M-Z Sept. 9 & 11; CTEC at BOCES begins
- Sept. 14 – Daily in-person instruction begins
Please know that the health and safety of our children and staff are always our priorities.
Superintendent of Schools