We have received updated guidance from the Orange County Department of Health regarding a student’s return to school following illness.
If your child is absent or sent home from school with any of the following COVID-19 symptoms as defined by the CDC, we will refer you to your child’s healthcare provider for further assessment.
- The healthcare provider will determine if a COVID-19 test is warranted.
- Your healthcare provider must clear your child in writing for return to school and your child must be symptom free for 72 hours before returning.
- A negative COVID-19 test is not required but can be provided in addition to the healthcare provider’s note.
- The healthcare provider’s note must state, at a minimum, that your child is cleared to return to school and that your child has an alternate diagnosis unrelated to COVID.
- The healthcare provider note will assist with mitigating the potential risk of exposure to COVID-19 in the school environment as we work closely to ensure the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.
The symptoms are:
- Muscle or body aches
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Fever (Temperature of 100.0 or higher) or chills
- Unexplained rash
If your child presents to the health office with one or more of these symptoms, as per New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) requirements your child will be isolated from other students/staff and you will be contacted immediately so that your child can be picked up within 45 minutes.
If your child tests positive for COVID-19, please contact Mrs. Lysack at Golden Hill (Extension 20030) or Mrs. Smyth at Seward (Extension 30102). A positive test for COVID-19 will require at least a 10-day isolation, 72 hours fever free without using fever reducing medications and an improvement of your child’s symptoms. Your child’s healthcare provider, in consultation with the Orange County Department of Health, will determine your child’s release date and will provide you with the mandatory note permitting your child to return to school.
Thank you for your cooperation with the guidelines. Please reach out to the school nurse in your child’s building with any questions or concerns.
Superintendent of Schools