Parents of school-aged children are invited to participate in a Community Forum for Drug Awareness on Monday, Dec. 16, at 7 p.m., at the Warwick Valley Middle School.
Why it matters
- 30% of high school seniors say that heroin is easy to obtain; 13% of eighth-graders agree.
- 90% of prescription drug addictions start in the teen years.
- 27% of teens think that using painkillers to get high is safer than using street drugs.
- Opioid related deaths in Orange County are three-times higher than in any other county in New York State.
- Prescription painkillers claimed more American lives than any other drug in 2014.
About the forum
Community leaders and experts in drug addiction and prevention will facilitate a discussion about the growing availability of drugs to school children and what parents can do to help keep kids safe.
Warwick Valley Middle School
225 West Street