Dear Parents, Guardians, Faculty and Staff,
We are completing the 2020 school year and making plans for 2020-2021. Here are some updates about summer food distribution, 2020 Commencement and Reopening Plans.
Summer Food Program
The summer food distribution will begin on Monday, July 13 and run through Wednesday, Aug. 12.
- Location: S.S. Seward Institute Entryway. Pick up only. There is no delivery in the summer.
- Days and Times: Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- On Mondays breakfast and lunch for Monday and Tuesday will be provided.
- On Wednesdays, breakfast and lunch for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will be provided.
- Participants: The Summer Food Service Program is free for all students.
Graduation will be held 10 a.m. Saturday, July 11. While the event is open to seniors and their families only, Commencement will be live streamed. Please join us remotely as we recognize and honor our seniors. Here is the live streaming information and additional information is available on the website.
The ceremony will be live streamed via Twitch and can be accessed in the following ways:
- The live stream can be viewed using any device with Internet by visiting www.seward2020.com
- For the best live stream experience and for the ability to comment on the live stream follow this link http://twitch.tv/sdaevents
You may download the free Twitch App from either the Apple or Play Store well in advance of the start of the graduation ceremony. Follow these steps:
- Search for “Twitch: Livestream Multiplayer Games & Esports” app in the Apple or Play Store
- Download the app
- Create and verify the free Twitch account
- Search for “SDA Events” or click on the following link Twitch Stream: http://twitch.tv/sdaevents
Prior to graduation you will see a message that says “Check back here at 10 am on Saturday, 7/11 for the S. S. Seward Institute class of 2020 graduation live stream.”
We have been reviewing various plans for reopening in the fall. Several states have released guidance and we have been reviewing their approaches. Governor Cuomo announced that New York State will be sending out guidance next week. Basically, there will be three plans: In person instruction following social distancing and health guidelines, remote instruction and hybrid instruction which is a combination of remote and in person. The Reopening Committee which includes the District Advisory Team will need your input as we develop the three plans for September. We are hopeful and prepared to provide an in person program for our students to the extent possible while following health guidance. Here is the timeline.
- Monday, July 13: Guidance will be released from New York State.
- Thursday, July 16: A summary of the reopening plans and a short survey will be distributed to the school community. The purpose of the survey is to gather information regarding transportation, academic schedule, PPE and various topics to assist in the planning.
- Friday, July 31:The Reopening Plan is due.
- Aug. 1-Aug. 7: Governor Cuomo will make a decision about schools reopening for in person instruction in September.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate the challenges of the pandemic. I hope you and your family enjoy the summer months. I look forward to seeing our school back in session in September.
Jan Jehring, Superintendent of Schools