Dear Parents and Guardians,
Governor Cuomo and the NYS Education Department (NYSED) recently released information regarding reopening schools for the fall of 2020. Additionally, the Governor will decide in early August if schools will be able to reopen for in-person instruction based on regional COVID-19 infection rates.
The District is in the process of preparing a Reopening Plan according to guidance from NYSED and New York Department of Health, with input from the Board of Education, the District Advisory Team/Reopening Committee and District personnel. Input was gathered through a reopening survey sent to parents and guardians on Friday, July 17. The purpose of this message is to share information regarding the following items:
- Informational Session on Reopening Plan: A virtual informational session for parents regarding the Reopening Plan will be held on Tuesday, July 28 at 7 p.m.
- Timeline: Reopening Timeline
- Reopening Survey Results
Florida Union Free School District Virtual Information Session will be on Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 7 pm. To join the Google Meet, please use one of the following options:
- To join Google Meet with a device:
Google Meet Meeting ID: https://meet.google.com/uzq-iuaw-qzw
- To join Google Meet by Phone:
Dial: 1 442-900-4369
PIN: 730 927 658#
Topics will include: Survey results, remote learning, safety preparations, social distancing, face coverings and bus information. An overview of the Reopening Plan and a timeline will be provided.
Please submit specific questions to email@example.com by 4 p.m. Tuesday.
- Tuesday July 28 at 7 p.m.: Virtual Informational Session
- Friday, July 31: Reopening Plan will be posted
- Week of Aug. 1: Governor Cuomo will make announcement regarding in-person instruction
- August: Building Informational Sessions will be held.
If in-person instruction is allowed by Governor Cuomo, parents will select preference of instruction.
Schedules will be made and distributed.
Reopening Survey Results
The district received 317 responses representing 539 students.
- The District will practice social distancing, require face coverings, follow recommended protocol and health guidelines during in-person instruction:
63.7 percent: I prefer to send my child(ren) to school for in-person instruction
36.3 percent: I prefer that my child(ren) participate in remote instruction if it is available.
- On the bus, students will be required to wear face coverings and seating capacity will be reduced. If your home qualifies for bus transportation, will you send you child(ren) on the bus?
26.8 percent: Yes, my child(ren) will ride the bus
24 percent: Yes, we prefer bus transportation but will make arrangements if necessary due to reduced capacity.
37.5 percent: No, we will provide/arrange transportation to and from school.
11.7 percent: No, we do not qualify for bus transportation
- Face coverings will be required on buses and in school. Please select your preferences regarding face coverings for your child(ren). Family will:
63.4 percent: Provide child(ren) with face coverings/masks
31.2 percent: Utilize District provided fabric masks (5 per child)
5.4 percent: Utilize District provided paper masks
- Will your child(ren) participate in the school breakfast program?
8.5 percent: Yes
77.6 percent: No
13.9 percent: Sometimes
- Will your child(ren) participate in the school lunch program:
29.7 percent: Yes
37.9 percent: No
32.5 percent: Sometimes
- Does your household have adequate internet service to participate in remote learning for substantive daily instruction (NYSED)?
97.2 percent: Yes
2.8 percent: No
We appreciate your involvement as we plan the reopening of school. We will continue to provide updates through School Messenger and will post on the website.
Superintendent of Schools