Dear Florida Union Free School District Community Members,
December was a very busy and exciting month at Golden Hill Elementary School and S.S. Seward Institute. Students were involved in seasonal concerts at the elementary, middle and high school levels and our second graders assisted with the Village’s tree lighting ceremony. The basketball season and boys varsity swimming are underway. We also inducted 14 new members into the National Junior Honor Society.
January not only brings us a new year but it also is full of many important events. Please review the online calendar on this website for events happening in our District. Here are some important dates and events:
- Classes resume on Jan. 2, 2018.
- Superintendent’s Forum on Jan. 10 at 9 a.m. in the Memorial Building
- Early Dismissal on Friday, Jan. 12; S.S. Seward dismisses at 10:30 a.m. and Golden Hill dismisses at 11:30 a.m.
- District Closed; Martin Luther King Day on Monday, Jan. 15.
- 1:1 Chromebook Initiative Kickoff at S.S. Seward, January 24 and 25.
As the winter months continue, it may be necessary to either delay or close school. I will try to make timely decisions. Please be aware of the following methods the District uses to inform the public regarding emergency closings and delays. They include:
- Text, e-mail and phone messages from the District via School Messenger
- This website
- Radio Stations: WPDH, WGNY, Clear Channel (WRWD), WHUD
- Television Stations: News 12 Hudson Valley, WNBC, WABC, WCBS, Fox 5
If you would like to make adjustments to the types of notifications you receive or update your contact information, please contact the Main Office of the school building.
Best wishes in 2018!
Jan Jehring, Superintendent